What is a bone?
A bot is a script that is executed by a server or computer to automate certain tasks. They are often linked to the Internet to search and scan websites.
There is a distinction to be made between good bots and bad bots.
- Examples of good bots are those of Google, which index your website and ensure that all pages appear on Google. Or a chatbot that answers the questions of website visitors.
- Bad bots are very annoying, they lower the performance of your website, they post spam comments that you would rather not have, or they scan your website to find vulnerabilities.
If you can exclude bots, you don't have to worry about the security and speed of your website.
What can you do against bots?
Using Captchas with forms.
They probably look familiar, the 'I'm not a robot' box that you must tick, or the click on all images with a traffic light challenge.
These functionalities are incorporated in the forms of many websites so that bots cannot send spam and to exclude that everyone who fills in such a form is a user. These Captchas are designed to make it more difficult for bots to navigate the website automatically.
We recommend installing Hide My WP Ghost on the website
Some advantages that this WordPress plugin offers:
- It hides all wordpress files and URLs so that bots cannot abuse them.
- Protects against Brute Force attacks, because the login page is not accessible to the bots.
- Scans for vulnerabilities that can be exploited by hackers.
The pro version of this plugin is included with all our hosting, maintenance & management subscriptions ! This way, in combination with a well-secured hosting, we keep the bots away from your website!